- Celtics Can’t Battle Back, Lose to Ginobli and Spurs 108-105
- Thomas Lead Celtics Drubbing of Cousins and Kings 114-97
- Amir Johnson, Avery Bradley Lead Celtics To Win Over Heat, 105-95
- Magic and Oladipo Stop Celtics 110-91
- Celtics Dominate Wizards, Led by Thomas, 111-78
- Celtics Eek Out Victory Versus Hapless Sixers, 84-80
- Celtics Split With Nets, Lose 110-101
- Bradley Leads Celtics to Drubbing of Nets, 120-95
- Mavericks Rally From 18 Down To Beat Celtics, 106-102
- Thomas leads Celtics to easy 111-95 win over Rockets
Boston Celtics Draft Recap: Jared Sullinger, Fab Melo, and Kris Joseph
- Updated: July 17, 2012
This year’s NBA draft is done and the Boston Celtics have acquired some fresh blood. The new recruits are Fab Melo, Kris Joseph and Jared Sullinger.
Whether these guys will contribute to a successful 2012-2013 season remains to be seen. They were all talented at the NCAA level, but serious adjustments have to be made to their games to be successful in the big leagues.
Let’s take a more in depth look at these three rookies:
- 7’0″, 255 lbs
- Age: 22
- Hometown: Juiz de Fora, Brazil
- College: Syracuse University (Incomplete)
- Position: Center
Melo is not the type of person you’d expect to score a spot on a professional basketball team. Yes, at 7 feet tall, he certainly looks the part. But this 22-year-old has only been playing basketball since he turned 15! Although he received some jibes after being declared academically ineligible at Syracuse, Melo’s athletic talent can’t be denied. It will be a big adjustment for him to go from Syracuse’s league leading zone defense to man-to-man coverage, but he believes he’s up to the challenge. Melo moved to the US at 17, so he’s also still working on his English (which may or may not have impacted his academics).
- 6’7″, 215 lbs
- Age: 23
- Hometown: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- College: Syracuse University (Graduated)
- Position: Forward
Fab Melo is not the only Syracuse alum to join the ranks of the Boston Celtics; fellow Syracuse alum Kris Joseph will also be playing on the team. Although this native Canadian received a number of honors during his senior year at Syracuse (including being named Big East Player of the Week), he will still have an uphill battle ahead of him on the Celtics. Like Melo, Joseph is not accustomed to man-to-man defense, although he claims to have a basic knowledge of the principles. Fortunately, Joseph appears to be a quick learner, meaning that he should be in in the swing of things in no time at all.
- 6’9″, 265 lbs
- Age: 20
- Hometown: Columbus, Ohio
- College: Ohio State (Incomplete)
- Position: Forward
20-year-old Jared Sullinger is best known for leading Ohio State to an impressive 31-8 record during the 2011-2012 season. He was also named the 2011 Big Ten Tournament Most Valuable Player. Sullinger brings an impressive amount of intelligence to the game, but he his playing ability could be greatly limited by medical problems such as back spasms and plantar fascists. He is expected to play both center and power forward next season.
Latest posts by Chris Stevens (see all)
- Celtics Preseason Notes: Rozier to Miss a Week - October 14, 2015
- Did Sullinger Eat His Way Out Of Celts Rotation? - October 13, 2015
- Five Thirty Eight Prediction: Celtics Playoff Bound - October 13, 2015