- Putnam Gets Cozy With The Celtics
- Ciao Italy! The Celtics Have Arrived
- Dee Brown Hopes To Teach Basketball in Manila
- Lee Signing Encouraging for Celtics Fans
- Draft Day Recap–How Did The Celtics Do?
- A Look at Celtics Draft Options
- Source: Kings Won’t Trade Cousins for Draft Picks
- Should The Celtics Trade Up In The 2015 Draft?
- Bringing The Pain in Maine: Red Claws Beasts Of The East
- The Needed Swede: The Rise of Jonas Jerebko
Celtics Sign Free Agent Big Man Sean Williams, Waive Jermaine O'Neal
- Updated: April 19, 2012
From ESPN Boston:
Sources told ESPN.com that the former Boston College center, waived by the Dallas Mavericks in March, is scheduled to join the Celtics in Atlanta and will be in uniform for Boston’s game on Friday night against the Hawks.
To make roster room for Williams, Boston is waiving the injured Jermaine O’Neal, sources said.
Williams joins former Cleveland Cavaliers center Ryan Hollins as new big men brought in by the Celtics late in the season to replace O’Neal and Chris Wilcox in support of a resurgent Kevin Garnett (who has played primarily center this season) and rookie surprise Greg Stiemsma.
O’Neal underwent season-ending wrist surgery late last month. Wilcox was waived on March 23 after being ruled out for the season due to a heart condition.
Williams was released on March 22 by the Mavericks, who decided they needed another wing player instead of four centers and used the vacated roster spot to sign swingman Kelenna Azubuike. Because Williams was waived by Dallas before the league’s March 23 deadline, he is eligible to play for Boston in the playoffs.
Williams cleared waivers on March 26. The 6-foot-10, 235-pounder averaged 3.6 points, 1.6 rebounds and 8.1 minutes in eight games with the Mavericks but averaged 15.2 points, 8.9 rebounds and 2.5 blocks in 27 games for the Texas Legends, Dallas’ D-League affiliate.
Low risk signing for the Celtics. Ryan Hollins just isn’t cutting it on the boards so I can see why Ainge made this move. Williams is only 25 years old so there is still some potential there.
Latest posts by Chris Stevens (see all)
- Celtics Open Up Preseason With Convincing 124-91 Over Milano - October 8, 2015
- Putnam Gets Cozy With The Celtics - October 6, 2015
- Ciao Italy! The Celtics Have Arrived - October 6, 2015