- Putnam Gets Cozy With The Celtics
- Ciao Italy! The Celtics Have Arrived
- Dee Brown Hopes To Teach Basketball in Manila
- Lee Signing Encouraging for Celtics Fans
- Draft Day Recap–How Did The Celtics Do?
- A Look at Celtics Draft Options
- Source: Kings Won’t Trade Cousins for Draft Picks
- Should The Celtics Trade Up In The 2015 Draft?
- Bringing The Pain in Maine: Red Claws Beasts Of The East
- The Needed Swede: The Rise of Jonas Jerebko
- Updated: March 19, 2012
So, Jermaine O’Neal will not be returning the Celtics this season, but it’s NOT because he will be bought out and re-sign with the Miami heat. The Celtics announced this afternoon that JO has opted for surgery on his wrist and will be forced to sit out the remainder of the season. This surgery could also be career ending considering his age.
The wrist has not responded to immobilization and physical therapy, and the decision was made to proceed with surgery.
“Jermaine worked hard to get himself in condition to play this season despite his ongoing wrist issues,” said Celtics President of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge. “He played through pain the entire year and gave us all he could, but unfortunately after the fall against Dallas there simply wasn’t anything else he could do. We appreciate his contributions to our team over the last two years.”
Originally, JO was brought in to back-up Kendrick Perkins and Shaq. However, Perkins was traded away and Shaq missed a great deal of last season to an Achilles problem. JO was forced into the starting role, a role the team didn’t intend him to me in. JO as the starter was all kinda of trouble and I assume most Celtics’ fans will happily move on from the Jermaine O’Neal as the Celtics starting center plan (which we sorta have, considering Garnett now plays the 5).
So see ya later O’Neal, it’s like we hardly knew you!
Latest posts by Chris Stevens (see all)
- NBA’s Best Draft Picks of All Time - October 10, 2015
- Celtics Open Up Preseason With Convincing 124-91 Over Milano - October 8, 2015
- Putnam Gets Cozy With The Celtics - October 6, 2015