Celtics 24/7 | Celtics Blog | Celtics News | Boston Celtics Rumors
Don't Miss

If you were Danny Ainge would you take a chance?

So Greg Oden is going to be a free agent after the NBA finishes the season. The question is would you take a shot on the injury plagued Oden ? And would he be the low risk high reward player that our Boston sports teams like to take chances on? I’m going to leave that up to you guys to discuss.

1. kay

May 25, 2011 at 11:35 am

naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

2. chris.p

May 25, 2011 at 11:38 am

in a heart beat.very high risk but the reward??incredibly dominate,game changing big man?.we took a risk with old shaq(sorta paid off)we took a risk with delonte west (off court history) why wouldnt you

3. Jake

May 25, 2011 at 11:43 am

Not if Shaq comes back… risk too much money on two players being out for the entire season. C’s need healthy players who can play consistently night in and night out…

4. Adam

May 25, 2011 at 11:55 am

I would love to take Greg Oden on the team, but the money you would have to spend to pry him away for Portland would make it too risky. You cannot compare this to the signings of Shaq and Delonte as they signed for veteran minimum deals. Oden would command much more money and longer than one year plus a player/team option. I would say the bidding on Oden starts around the $7 million range and no shorter than three years, and that’s being generous.

5. Josh

May 25, 2011 at 11:57 am

I don’t expect Shaq to return. If he does, as much as I love the big guy, it would only hurt the team and himself. He is way past his prime and I think after a season, in which he found it difficult to stay healthy, he should hang it up. Now that being said, I would definitely take a risk on Oden, if the price was right and we had another viable back up option. Oden is a huge risk because of his injury-filled past. But he could be a high reward player as well. When he played healthy, he was pretty darn good.

6. Ty

May 25, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I’m with Adam on this one. Oden is a big liability especially bc we do not have another big unless Shaq returns. Oden will want too much money and we can afford to pay him and risk him getting hurt. I feel that we should sign some vets for minimum contracts and go after the big tickets in 2012 as that free agent pool will be deep.

7. Ty

May 25, 2011 at 12:19 pm

*can’t afford to pay him* sorry!

8. Farnsworth

May 25, 2011 at 12:32 pm

No, no, no, no, no. This kid should never have even been drafted! He’s a seven footer with one leg longer than then other. He has never, ever, ever-ever been healthy. Plus, do we really need a Celtic showing up on TMZ with cellphone dong shots?

9. Tyler

May 25, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I’m split on this one… I do think Shaq is going to at least attempt to make a comeback. With that said I am not willing to spend the amount of money that may be needed like Adam said to get Oden. If the money is reasonable I say do it because he is still young, but i don’t see it happening.

10. Jamie Canu

May 25, 2011 at 4:15 pm

If Oden is on the market he is getting near minimum for 1 year. this is win-win.

If he is injured the team walks away minimal loss
    If he dominates and stays healthy he signs a huge 2-3 year deal.

Take the shot in a second.

11. Viva

May 25, 2011 at 5:55 pm

12. Ruth Less

May 26, 2011 at 12:07 am

If I were Danny Ainge, I would resign, at east to save face because all my dignity’s gone, having traded Kendrick Perkins, Luke Harangody and Semih Erden and gambled on Shaq the entire season? lol Who else would he trade this time, and then gamble on someone with health issues?
    Yes, if I were Danny Ainge i would resign, to save the Celtics some dignity for having lost too many important games after the trade, and for having lost in the playoffs.
    If he was responsible for hanging banner 17 by putting the Big 3 together, he was responsible for dismantling the entire squad right in the middle of a very promising season…. If you’re a HITMAN, that would have been a HUGE MISFIRE and your employer will have to make you pay for the damages >>>>> with your own life! But Ainge is not a hired gun, but he misfired and blamed everything on everybody but himself!!!! Wow! I’m surprised he hasn’t resigned? And WC hasn’t fired him?
    Now Greg Oden? hahahaha go ahead and mess it up again, Mr. Ainge! You’re so good at that, and then blaming everything on the players, never taking the blame yourself!

13. bballee

May 27, 2011 at 11:24 am

Vet min with 2nd year team option, sure.

14. Pingback: Boston Celtics Daily Links 5/27 | Celts Hub