Celtics 24/7 | Celtics Blog | Celtics News | Boston Celtics Rumors
Don't Miss

Player Power Rankings!

Each week from here on out this season, we’ll rank each individual Celtics player Power Ranking-style. Now, I know that what makes the Celtics great is they play as a team, and each night someone different steps up. However, it is fun to look at who is playing well and not-so-well over the course of the season. This first week, we are going to take into account the entire season up to this point, then in upcoming weeks, we’ll look at things on more of a week-to-week basis.

1. Paul Pierce. Played every game this year. Consistent. Reliable. Efficient. Made huge shots. Ran offense when Rondo was hurt. Ahead of Rondo and KG because he hasn’t missed any games.

2. Rajon Rondo. Leads NBA in assists. When he’s really on, he makes the correct decision basically every time down the floor. Adding years to Ray, Paul, and KG’s career.

3. Kevin Garnett. Could have been a tie w/ Rondo. Anchors the defense, and has bounce in step we haven’t seen since early ’09.

4. Ray Allen. Shooting over 50%. Has hit some HUGE shots late in games. Played every game. I’m almost over his Game 7 performance in the Finals last year.

5. Big Baby. Finally becoming the player we thought he could be after he filled in for KG in the ’09 playoffs. Tough, reliable scorer off bench – the type of player every Championship team needs.

6. Shaq. Has filled in admirably in Perk’s absence. Hopefully Doc can shut him down soon so he’s healthy for the playoffs.

7. Marquis Daniels. Better this year than last. I still cringe sometimes when he shoots the ball.

8. Nate Robinson. When he’s in, we’re all just hoping the C’s can maintain the lead until Rondo gets back in.

9. Semih Erdin. He’s not a total spaz. Much better than we thought, and he’s played some valuable minutes with all the injuries to key Celtics. Guy may have a future.

10. Luke Harangody. Had a few decent games. He can score. Liability on defense.

11. Von Wafer. Has occasionally provided some energy off the bench.

12. Jermaine O’Neal. We all saw how bad he was w/ Miami last year, and he hasn’t done anything to change our opinion. Sheed better be staying in shape to D up Dwight in the playoffs.

Note: Hopefully we’ll soon see Kendrick Perkins and Delonte West in these rankings. Perk should be back early February. West still has a ways to go.

No Lie. the Truth tops this week's Power Rankings

1. Pingback: Bouncin around the Blogosphere | The Inspired Sport

2. Tyler

January 23, 2011 at 1:39 am

Great idea… and great article. I agree with most of it although I am having a hard time deciding if Rondo or Pierce is #1 for me.

3. Pingback: Tweets that mention Player Power Rankings! | Celtics 24/7 | All Celtics, All The Time -- Topsy.com

4. Richard

January 23, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I agree JO hasn’t done anything but he’ll be very important in the playoffs. I just want to see him play in two potential series: Magic and Lakers. We’ll need him. And if we can get Sheed too… sure why not?

5. Mileke

January 23, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I actually disagree on a couple of positions! Though I understand where you were coming from, I have a few changes, lets see if you like them.
    My rankings would be
    1. Paul Pierce
    2. Kevin Garnett
    3. Rajon Rondo
    4. Ray Allen
    5. Shaquille O’neal
    6. Glen Davis
    7. Marquis Daniels
    8. Nate Robinson
    9. Von Wafer
    10. Semih Erden
    11. Jermaine O’neal
    12. Luke Harangody

-The reason Garnett breaks the tie breaker with Rondo is because he’s the anchor to our success, without KG, the C’s fail, the fact that he’s so vocal is a huge difference,

-Shaq comes before Baby, because with him on the floor, our offense gets whatever it wants, he takes up so much space, and put opposing teams in the penalty quite fast, Plus he’s a starter, Baby proved why he comes off the bench in KG’s absence, Shaq is a true veteran, cant put BABY before SHAMROCK!

-Von comes before Semih and Luke because he’s played more games, also his defense has been stellar as of late, Semih and Luke still have some learning to do, though Semih could be passing Von in next weeks rankings, because he’s starting, Von is still 1 place ahead of him, we have to see how Semih hold as a starter this week, I believe if Von was getting more time on the court, you would see what I like about what he brings, he really should be ahead of Nate too, because his shooting percentages are way better, and in the +/- collumn, Von has Nate beat, and his defense has even been better than Nate’s, but I’ll take it that Nate is before Von, but its almost disrespectful to put Semih and Luke ahead of him,

-Jermaine is before Luke because when he does play, he’s a key piece to our success, he leads the team in blocked shots, and his defense was consistent through his injuries, Luke again have alot of learning to do, its not like Luke has played that many more games than JO to be placed above him in the Power Rankings, again its disrespectful to put Luke ahead of JO, now I know he’s been injured, but the few games he’s played, and the few games Luke has played, JO has been a better player, and I believe we can all agree, Semih is ahead of JO because he’s played more games, and started a few too.

-Thats my Power Rankings!

6. Tyler

January 23, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Your rankings are pretty close too. I see your points about KG, but I don’t think Von Wafer has been more valuable than Semih so far.

7. NickSava

January 23, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Yeah Mileke you make some good points. Two things I was thinking when doing these were expectations as well as reliability. Obviously JO is a better player than Semih but Semih has exceeded expectations while JO hasn’t lived up to them yet. Also, reliability (i.e. “No injuries”) is a factor in putting Baby ahead of Shaq. Your points, however, will be taken into account for next week’s rankings.

8. Mileke

January 23, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Well I get it about your expectations and reliability, and Semih has exceeded them, so in that Case Semih is before JO, but Im talking bout towards this teams success, I believe JO is an important piece to our success, and same for BABY, when I was ranking them, I was ranking all around player so far this year, now I understand why your rankings are that way, and I totally agree with your rankings in that case!!! Tyler, thats why I want Von to get more time on the court, we hardly get to see what he’s capable of, but he has a very high IQ in this game, not that I want it to happen, but If Von was moved up ahead of Nate on the depth chart, he would be just as, if not better handling the 1-gaurd position than Nate!

9. Mileke

January 23, 2011 at 5:39 pm

1 more thing JO haven’t lived to the fans expectations, but he has lived to the expectations that Doc Rivers was planning, and thats a big difference, fans are complaining about JO because he’s not doing what they want him to do, only problem is, he hasn’t played half the games this season, but JO was brought here to rebound, block shots, clog the lane, and set good pics, honestly, he’s done that and more coming off the bench when he does play, in my opinion, I think we as fans want more, because we know his history of a great player, but I’ll bet my last dime that he’s doing everything Doc and Danny asked of him this summer, which makes me believe he has met expectations, Semih exceeds them, because he has 2 40 year olds ahead of him on the depth chart that we knew weren’t playing all 82 games, thats all!