In light of Jermaine O’Neal and Kevin Garnett getting some ridiculous technical fouls called on them (and KG getting thrown out because of it) a few nights ago, my buddy Orange sent me an email about how ridiculous the NBA’s new technical foul rules are. I agree with him and now I’m all fired up about it.
It has already been proven that NBA refs gamble on games, and have used their whistle as a way to influence the over/under and other elements of the game. Now they have the ability to throw out players for “clapping with sarcasm” and a whole host of other crap?! The NBA, more than any other league IMO, is a league where you watch and go to games to see star players on the other team. Let’s face it, as the Celtics proved last season, the regular season means nothing. You watch because you love watching basketball being played by the best players in the world. I remember being really excited a few years ago to go to the Celtics/Nuggets game because I had never seen Iverson live. Same with last year when I got to see Durant. Now the NBA is making it easier on the most corrupt group of officials in all of sport to throw these guys out of games?! Absurd.
Here are some of the new rules:
Referees have been instructed to call a technical for:
• Players making aggressive gestures, such as air punches, anywhere on the court.
• Demonstrative disagreement, such as when a player incredulously raises his hands, or smacks his own arm to demonstrate how he was fouled.
• Running directly at an official to complain about a call.
• Excessive inquiries about a call, even in a civilized tone.
In addition, referees have been instructed to consider calling technicals on players who use body language to question or demonstrate displeasure, or say things like, “Come on!” They can also consider technicals for players who “take the long path to the official”, walking across the court to make their case.
Glad to see the players association is considering taking legal action against the league.
Well, at least they waited until Sheed retired. What do you think?
Latest posts by Hunter Thomas (see all)
- “Shooting star” — Jaylen Brown’s *eye-popping* numbers - June 4, 2017
- “Dr. Jaylen Brown” as “the Dos Equis guy” — our new fave fan video - May 26, 2017
- Un-forgetting Cedrick Maxwell — 1981 NBA Finals MVP - May 12, 2017