- Isaiah Thomas Narrowly Avoids Suspension
- Can The Celtics Make a Run In The Playoffs?
- Isaiah Thomas Key To Celtics Capturing Atlantic Division Title
- Ainge and the Celtics Maintain “Status Quo” as Trade Deadline Passes
- Celtics Can’t Battle Back, Lose to Ginobli and Spurs 108-105
- Thomas Lead Celtics Drubbing of Cousins and Kings 114-97
- Amir Johnson, Avery Bradley Lead Celtics To Win Over Heat, 105-95
- Magic and Oladipo Stop Celtics 110-91
- Celtics Dominate Wizards, Led by Thomas, 111-78
- Celtics Eek Out Victory Versus Hapless Sixers, 84-80
Exclusive Dee Brown Interview
- Updated: July 3, 2010
We hit the time machine button a little with this one. Going back almost three years exactly, here is our Celtics 24/7 exclusive interview with Dee Brown conducted on July 2nd, 2007.
First off, thank you very much for giving us some of your time and being part of this interview. As a blog, we get a lot of fans reading our articles and giving their thoughts in our forums, but we don’t often get to speak with people working (or previous employees in your case) for the Celtics. There are a lot of Celtics blogs on the internet right now. Do you ever find yourself reading and checking up on them?
I always keep up with the Celtics. Being an ex-Celtic captain you always want to know how the team is doing. Also working for ESPN and being an NBA Analyst keeps me in tune with them on every move.
2. What did you think of the Ray Allen trade? If you were GM would you have gone at things differently on draft night (like keeping the pick for instance)?
Well I like the Allen trade because you have a change to get a proven scorer to go along with Pierce and not have to give up all your young pieces except for West. You keep Big Al, Green, Rondo, etc. No one at that pick was a better player than Allen. Plus you got rid of Wally’s contract.
3. With a full, and healthy roster do you think this years Celtics make the playoffs, and what changes do you expect them to make between now and the start of the season?
This team healthy is a good team, the young players got a chance to experience on court development even though they took their bruises along the way. Remember, when the Celticss were healthy at the beginning of the season they were right at the top of the division. So they should make the playoffs. I hate to say it but it’s still the Eastern Conference. I don’t expect too many other changes. Maybe another inside scorer if you can find one.
4. You were part of the beginning of a new era which went really poorly for the C’s (you were one of the few bright spots) in comparison to the previous years because of a mix of bad management and tragedies. What strikes you as the biggest difference between the up and coming 07-08 Celtics and the Celtics teams you were a part of?
I think the biggest difference is that they have great young talent. We had NO talent except for a few players like Rick Fox, Greg Minor, Dana Barrros. We had players on that team that had no value and no one wanted. Steve Hamer, Brett Szabo, Nate Driggers, Marty Colon, Tony Harris. None of those guys even got invited to an NBA training camp the next year. The 07-08 Celtics have valuable assets and all their young guys can play on any team in the league.
5. You supported Sam Mitchell for coach of the year on your blog. Optimistic Celtic fans hope that Doc Rivers will end up coaching the C’s into a situation like Toronto’s after having a terrible previous season. Do you think Doc can really turn it around in a Mitchell-esque way, and do you think he’s a good fit still with this team?
I think Doc can turn it around. I played for Doc in Orlando and he did a great job with veterans and the younger players. Again, health will be the big difference and now he doesn’t have to re-teach everything with a new team. Practically all the core players are back with a few key additions. The hard part has been done and that was losing tons of games. Now it’s time to put all the pieces together and move forward.
6. You have had a successful broadcasting career and seem to be very knowledgeable when it comes to the game of basketball. Would you ever consider coming back as a coach?
No. I enjoy being a GM for 30 teams all year long. Thats what being an analyst does. It’s my opinion based on the facts and my experience as a player, WNBA Coach and front office exec. It’s a safer job than coaching. Plus I enjoy teaching more than coaching and that is why I have my basketball training facility in Orlando for elementary to Pro Players like Chucky Atkins, Brandon Hunter, Corey Brewer, Tamika Catchings, etc.
7. Which player in the NBA do you think represents the game you played during your time in the league the best?
Tim Duncan. It’s all about the fundamentals and winning the big prize at the end. He doesn’t care if it’s boring but it gets the ring.
8. How did it feel to seeing Gerald putting the throwback on and imitating your dunk? Did you guys talk about it beforehand?
First, it makes you feel old when now your jersey is considered a throwback. Second, it was great to see someone finally try to do it and it was awesome that it was a Celtic who added a new twist to it. Gerald wanted me to come to Vegas and be a part but I was in studio at ESPN during all-star weekend so I couldn’t join him. But he said he had something special and him being a Reebok guy just made it more special with the old school Dee Brown pumps.
9. We hear that you and Gerald have a new shoe coming out. Could you give us any details?
Well we have a new line coming out called the RF(Royal Flush) Edition shoes. There several types of Reeboks from the pumps that I wore to cross trainers to casual shoes. Each shoe has a card letter or number on the back representing a Royal Flush. The pumps are K of Spades, etc. also there will be something very special coming out next year from Reebok for Dee Brown, so keep your eyes open.
Once again, thank you very much for being a part of the constantly growing world of Celtics blogging!
Latest posts by Chris Stevens (see all)
- Isaiah Thomas Narrowly Avoids Suspension - April 25, 2016
- Can The Celtics Make a Run In The Playoffs? - February 26, 2016
- Isaiah Thomas Key To Celtics Capturing Atlantic Division Title - February 26, 2016