- Celtics Can’t Battle Back, Lose to Ginobli and Spurs 108-105
- Thomas Lead Celtics Drubbing of Cousins and Kings 114-97
- Amir Johnson, Avery Bradley Lead Celtics To Win Over Heat, 105-95
- Magic and Oladipo Stop Celtics 110-91
- Celtics Dominate Wizards, Led by Thomas, 111-78
- Celtics Eek Out Victory Versus Hapless Sixers, 84-80
- Celtics Split With Nets, Lose 110-101
- Bradley Leads Celtics to Drubbing of Nets, 120-95
- Mavericks Rally From 18 Down To Beat Celtics, 106-102
- Thomas leads Celtics to easy 111-95 win over Rockets
If the Ping Pong Balls Fell Right…Or Did They?
- Updated: June 24, 2010
The Celtics just finished their second run to the finals in three seasons, coming up just short of Banner 18, what would have been the second title over that short span. The Celtics recent playoff success of course comes on the heels of the worst period of C’s basketball in their history. The previous 14 seasons produced one division title, a mere three teams above .500, six playoff appearances, three total playoff series victories (including one Eastern Conference Championship Series appearance), and twice putting up the second worst record in the sport. The span also saw six coaches at the helm: Chris Ford (1990-1995), M. L. Carr (1995-1997), Rick Pitino (1997-2001), Jim O’Brien (2001-2004), John Carroll (2004), Doc Rivers (2004-present).
Now that the series is over and the draft and free agency is looming, what is to become of the team as it currently stands? Is Ray Allen back? Is Kevin Garnett an expensive 15 (point) and 8 (rebound) guy or is he the more elite player the Celtics acquired (after a recuperative offseason)? Is Doc staying or going? Will Paul Pierce opt out? How far will the team regress? Are they still an elite team, even as an Eastern power? More importantly, how far does the team drop after next year, when KG’s contract expires? Were the big acquisitions worth a short run of success?
Latest posts by Chris Stevens (see all)
- Celtics Preseason Notes: Rozier to Miss a Week - October 14, 2015
- Did Sullinger Eat His Way Out Of Celts Rotation? - October 13, 2015
- Five Thirty Eight Prediction: Celtics Playoff Bound - October 13, 2015